Present: Rod MacLean, Harjit Hothi, Kul Kapoor, Maureen Taylor, Sue Jones, Sharon Power, David Downing
Regrets: Councillor Hubley, Marc Labrèche, Nilay Ertemur, Judy Lees and Duane Avery
1. Minutes of the December 1st, 2014 KHCA meeting were approved as circulated
2. As matters arising from those minutes, linking the Rudy-Shenkman hospice to the KHCA website was approved and Eagleson Park and Ride was discussed. Park and Ride is a very popular means for commuting to down town and has resulted in shortage of parking space at the Eagleson Park and Ride parking place. As a result, there may be parking on residential streets not just on Hearst Way, Cohen Avenue and Angus Drive but also away from the Park and Ride such as Pickford Drive. At times, this has caused safety issues for people getting out and into their driveways due to cars parked nearby. The construction of additional Park and Ride places expected late 2015 is to eliminate or at least reduce the problem once built. A lively discussion took place as to what can be done, more information is to be sought.
3. Presidents Update: A.) Eagleson/March Bridge has been closed to pedestrians for this Winter. B.) Saturday, February 7th – Councillor Hubley is hosting a community breakfast (8:30 am) at Don Cherry`s Sports Grill. Tickets at $15.00 each are available at Don Cherry’s or from Councillor Hubley at allan.hubley@Ottawa.ca C.) West District Budget Consultation 2015 will be held on Tuesday, February 10 from 7:30 pm. to 9:30 pm. in the cafeteria of Holy Trinity Catholic High School, 160 Katimavik Road. D.) Sunday, February 22 from 2 pm to 4 pm will be the Young’s Pond Park Community Skating Party E.) i) For Ruddy-Shenkman Hospice Casino Night and ii) for Moffat Farm Cycling Club is exercise and donate, and International Women’s Day event on March 9 please visit - KHCA’swebsitewww.khca.on.ca
iii) You may set up you’re My Service Ottawa account through www.Ottawa.ca
iv)If you notice a traffic violation, speeding or unsafe driving in your neighbourhood
you can report it by calling the not emergency police number 613-232-1222 ex 7300. F.) Events since Dec. 1st: 4th Kanata Scouts – French/bilingual scout troop. 200 residents took the Councillor’s Christmas Wagon rides. With Councillor Hubley’s support, KHCA was able have a Jan. 1st, 2015 Kanata Kourier-Standard colour advertisement of six Lighten the Night 2014 wining homes.Regrettably, it misidentified 25 Tamblyn Crescent and 39 Dressler Drive. Federation of Citizen Associations concerned about community mailboxes, zoning, infill and high rise intensification. The Kanata North Hilton Hotel and Apartments proposal to be on Compeau Drive at Great Lakes Avenue was challenged: i) on its ugliness; ii) on whether it not only fits in with but also enhances adjacent properties; and iii) on its failure to be innovative and sustainable. The Mayor and the NCC will resolve LRT route issues from Dominion Station to Lincoln Fields Station.
4. Treasurer’s Update indicated that the operating fund of $2000 not committed.
5. Proposal for a new name for Walter Baker Place, please forward your new name for the street - once the list for change is posted on City website. The consideration of a new name for Walter Baker Park is not yet arranged. A number of KatimavikHazeldean residents support the renaming of both Walter Baker Park and Walter Baker Place.
6. City tree protection program against the Ash Borer by Ecology Ottawa. Over Twenty Million ash trees are dying. Sue Jones briefed the meeting about the workshop organized by Ecology Ottawa on Jan 22, 2015 that she had attended. Ecology Ottawa encourages residents to plant and/or adopt and track Ash trees to replace the dying trees. For more information and to participate in this program, residents should contact Ecology Ottawa.
Adjourned at 8:35 pm Next Meeting: March 2, 2015